Saturday, September 25, 2004

In Search of the Poetry in My Life.

You know well enough that Our Lord does not look so much at the greatness of our actions, nor even at their difficulty, but at the love with which we do them.
Saint Therese of Lisieux

I worked as an office clerk in the food service department at CSU Sacramento for a couple of years. I was very young, just 20 years old and attending university full time. My boss was an older man who willingly imparted his life's wisdom.

At the time, he gave me what I considered to be very sage advise: "Focus not on how you feel, focus on what you accomplish." I took that advice to heart. At that time, I lived life on an emotional roller coaster and only did the things that I felt like doing. Anything else was completely neglected. I think this was his way of encouraging me to live life responsibly - with a greater degree of maturity.

I have taken this concept to the extreme over the last 20 years. I create goal sheets every New Year's day and notch-off the items that I accomplished the year prior. My personal Measurement Stick is embossed with Acts. What have I achieved? How does that compare with others my age? Am I in the Pole Position?

In Search of the Poetry in My Life.
This phrase popped into my head a couple of days ago - and I've been contemplating how to incorporate it into a blog. Thanks to Alexa, the words gelled this morning.

Tasking my way through life has left me feeling empty. I've lost touch with the subtle joys that living simply can offer. Despite a flurry of happenings going on at all times, I've started to realize that I'm an empty vessel when it comes to my personal life, my home life. I give sincere guidance and assistance to my employees at work - which is fulfilling because it it genuine and heartfelt at many times - but I haven't done this on the home front for a very long time.

In Search of the Poetry in My Life.
My way of saying that I want to slow down, feel the beauty of life through the act of love...not through the love of the act.