Monday, October 04, 2004

Behind Door #223

I think it may be time to buy a book. Seek advice. Learn how to deal with an unexpected situation.

Angela is the caregiver who assists my dad with his shower three times a week. She's originally from Fiji, she's a mother of 3 young kidlets and she's downright delightful. So warm, so nice, very helpful and patient.

Dad was waiting for Angela to show up for his shower this morning - and she walked in to find him sprawled-out on top of his bed...totally nude.

So Angela had The Chat with him: "Even though I help you in the shower, you still need to be respectful of me. You need to have something on - or you should cover yourself."

It didn't help that my mom followed Angela into dad's room and witnessed the whole thing. And according to mom, this wasn't the first time this happened. She mentioned something about his stay at a rehab hospital last year.

Egad. This is one of those times when I don't know whether or not to get involved. Truth be told, I really don't want to. But I'll check in with Angela to see if this did occur (Mom's a bit loopy today) and then apologize on behalf of the family. I also need to counsel dad on not calling Angela his "girlfriend" any longer.

Is this typical with the elderly? Do they lose their sensitivity of what is proper and what is not? The man doesn't have a head injury. He isn't senile. He is a tad forgetful, but not about something like this.

I'll need more info to help me understand the bigger picture and what else I should anticipate. In the meantime, we'll be taking a road trip tonight to deliver a terry robe to my dad. Gratis.