Monday, May 30, 2005

And So It Goes...

Jill: How've you been? I've been trying to reach you. I figured that you must be away on a trip again.

Friend: We've been good. We just got back from Southern California - a friend's 50th birthday party. And last week we were in New Jersey to see my parents.

Jill: How are they doing?

Friend: They're the same. Haven't changed a bit. Mom turned 82 last week so we had a small dinner party for her. I thought of you and Husband. My parent's house is really falling apart, but they refuse to spend any money on it and they're comfortable with it just the way it is - leaking roof and all. It's going to take a lot of work to fix it someday.

Jill: Yup, it's hard. How are the plans going for the trip to China.

Friend: Great. We're still hoping you can come.

Jill: It's unlikely that we'll be able to get away for 3 weeks now. So you got my message that we're moving?

Friend: I did. That's awfully sudden.

Jill: Well, sort of Yes and sort of No. The house sold in 3 days and our offer on the new one was accepted the next day. But I've been talking about this for over a year.

Friend: Well, I hope you like it there.

Jill: I'll have to get used to the snow. Of course, I'm hoping that you and Mark will be able to come out and visit us for a ski holiday.

Friend: Well, that's probably not going to happen. Mark's working a lot these days so we get to take very few trips. And Denver's not exactly on the way to anywhere we might go.

Jill: Oh, I was hoping we might be your destination. Skiing is only an hour away!

Friend: Well, I wouldn't count on it. We're taking very few trips these days.

Jill: Oh.