Monday, May 09, 2005

This and That

Husband hasn't quite been the same since the incident Saturday morning. He's slower than usual, exhausted and in pain. His doctor has referred him to a neurologist for a cat scan to insure that he didn't have a seizure.

My neighbors and in-laws are trying to talk us out of moving to Denver. "You'll never be able to afford to move back." That's true, just as I am unable to move to a bigger house here and raise children comfortably with a backyard and more than 1.5 bathrooms.

The real estate market is ridiculously hot in the Bay Area. In our town, the average number of days on the market for a listing is 14 days. In Denver, it's 126 days. Ouch.

I have lost my ambition. I have no desire whatsoever to move forward, earn more or accumulate stock options. In a way, I have gone on tilt and I'm exhausted.

I am washing sheets right now and I came upon the fitted flannel sheet that my mom used to use. She was so upset that her facility had washed it and turned it pink. Now, I look at it lovingly and longingly...basking in its slightly rosey hue. I really, really miss my mom.

My father's doctor has prescribed an anti-depressant for him - something that he has refused to accept for years. He has now agreed to try it. This is a very big day. On a not-so-lighter note, Dad is talking about driving again. At the age of 80. With bad hearing, macular degeneration and the remnants of a stroke that leave him unable to lift his feet off the ground. S.O.S.

In late December, I contacted my sister Ann's best friend. She is a psychic and does astrology charts. I asked her if she felt that my family was under a hex. She claimed that she doesn't believe in hexes, but she gave me a paragraph to recite if I continued to feel that I was enveloped by a black aura. I know this sounds silly, but if you track the incidents of the last year with me, you'll agree that the frequency and severity of events are uncommonly bad. Tonight, Husband is going to do a quick reading with me to ask for God's protection. I'm not a woo-woo kind of person at all, but I'm really at my rope's end. I figure it can't hurt and it may help. My prayer is to keep my remaining family healthy and intact.

My toes occasionally go numb when I'm sitting on the couch watching tv. That's a bad sign, isn't it? I'm too afraid to research it on WebMD.

My brother in law has offered me the opportunity to invest in a couple of his real estate developments. They consistently offer a return of 27%. I'm jumping at the chance.