Friday, June 24, 2005

Femme a la Meme

Okay, Diva. This one is for you.

1. Number of books I own?
Around 300 but that's not counting the 200+ that we recently donated to the library in anticipation of our move to Denver. Some people go for shoes or make-up or diamond jewelry. I go wild in the book store and show zero restraint. At least 100 of my books are old, crusty and leather bound. Many are written in German, French and Chinese, and I love the way they look and feel and smell.

2. Last book I bought?
I purchased these two books for my father a couple of days ago. He is fascinated with history and is especially piqued by Mesopotamia and the Sumerians.

History Begins at Sumer: Thirty-Nine Firsts in Man's Recorded History by Samuel Noah Kramer

Sumerian Mythology: A Study of Spiritual and Literary Achievement in the Third Millennium B.C. by Samuel Noah Kramer, Hiroshi Tanaka

For myself, I bought:
The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Miguel Ruiz

3. Last book I read?

Honeymoon by James Patterson,Howard Roughan

Secrets of the Millionaire Mind: Mastering the Inner Game of Wealth by T. Harv Eker

To be fair, you also need to know that I regularly read (subscribe to) these magazines:
Art & Antiques
Real Simple
The Economist
The Atlantic Monthly
Reader's Digest
Traditional Home
People
Time
Consumer Reports
The Robb Report
San Francisco Magazine
Architectural Digest & O

4. Books that mean alot to me: (This is really hard because all of my books are packed in boxes and I have to rely on my memory.)

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl

Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy

The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury(Calvin and Hobbes Series) by Bill Watterson ( I was devastated when Calvin was retired. I have yet to find such an insightful, witty, entertaining and clever cartoon.)

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie shaped much of who I became as a salesperson and sales manager.

Ogilvy on Advertising by David Ogilvy launched me into the field of marketing back in the early 80's.