Sunday, June 18, 2006

Just like every family gathering from when I was a kid....every holiday meal...and most occassions when we just sat down to talk...my Dad erupted in anger and spit out hateful words at me today. His face was drenched in disgust, and he called me by my mother's name...his voice dripping with scorn.

We were in the car on our way to brunch in Boulder. Dad had made the comment that the US was probably in Iraq so that we could maintain our huge debt...which keeps international investors happy. Lower debt means lower inflation which means lower value on money...or so went his argument. I was asking questions because I didn't understand.

"Wouldn't lower inflation and lower debt be better for the county?"
"Why would we care we had to call in all of the bonds, pay off the investors but still be flush with cash?"
"Why would we care that the money had a lower monetary value vs when it was borrowed if we were able to pay down the debt and reduce inflation?"

Dad basically told me that I'm an idiot, that I don't listen, and that I'm just like my mother.




And a very happy Father's Day to you too...asshole.