Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Oy Vey


The front landscaping project has taken an ugly turn. After digging a 5' trench across the entire front yard, the contractors have discovered water. A lot of it.

They are now extending that 5' trench to all corners of the property...sort of like a big 'ol asterisk...in search of the water source. I'm sitting here in abject disbelief over what has happened to our front yard. And I keep hearing that dollar sign sound: Cha-Ching! Cha-Ching!! CHA-CHING!!!

Yes, it's growing louder and more frequent.

This is the most extensive project that Husband and I have ever undertaken. Interior cosmetic stuff has come easy to us but this project defies logic and simplicity.

I had No Idea.

And the whole smoke and mirrors thing is really, really bugging me. You agree on a list of work to be done and final price and then the contractor tries to downgrade the improvement or worse yet, deny that the work was ever part of the job. I know, "you have to write everything down in the contract." I'm here to say that in some cases, that is really difficult.

For example: Install drip system to all planter and flowering areas.

But the Gardener doesn't want to do that now, he just wants to water one of our planters with the ground sprinkler. I refused. Twice. And he finally backed off.

This is only one of six different issues to come up, and I can't wait to see how many more emerge.

In other news, TDC (That Damn Cat) finally came out of the ducts this morning and a ferocious attitude. He's been skidding around the house for over an hour and still won't come over to me. Thank you for letting me know that other cats have been known to do this. TDC came from a home with a ferret and I'm wondering if this is the Ferret Effect: Extreme craftiness and weasel-like moves.

Nuff about all that. I'm off to go fret over the underground tunnels that have overtaken my front yard.