Thursday, January 12, 2006




I'm hosting Bunko tonight so the day will be filled with me shopping at Dream Pastries and Whole Foods Market for foodstuff.

When I lived in the Bay Area, a friend told me about the growing Bunko Craze and suggested that we put together a group. I couldn't find the time to carve out 3 hours a month. Or rather, it was a time/energy issue. No mental space to take on anything new...I was just hanging by my claws to hold onto what was.

Now I get together with 11 neighbors and we chit chat the night away. Nothing too serious or deep, we just catch up on each others' lives and share a few jokes and glasses of wine.

I like it. I don't ever win any of the prizes, but I still have fun. It's comforting for me to know my nieghbors, be friends with many of them, and get updates on the community happenings. It's nice to feel as though I'm part of something...especially now that I'm not working. The HOA opportunity reared it's head again recently...one of the members may be transferred so I've been asked to consider accepting an appointment to the board. If I say "yes," it's going to put a crimp in my neighborly friendships. Everyone hates the HOA board...despite the number of hours they work as volunteers. And I'm not one who loves to be hated.