Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The In-Laws were supposed to land here last evening around suppertime. I ordered two large pizzas and two large salads for their arrival.

American Idol came and went and still no In-Laws. I finally threw in the towel around 9:30pm and Husband stayed up until after 11pm before giving up and going to bed.

There was no call...no message..no word from them at all. Just a group of No Shows.

I tossed and turned all night wondering where they could possibly be? Stuck in the snow somewhere in Utah? Sitting in jail because Husband's brother doesn't have a drivers license? Both of them busted for a DUI? Would they be smart enough to call us for help or would they keep that a secret too?

They don't own a cell phone - can't afford one.

Husband says that I just need to not worry about the In-Laws not showing up as expected. These people are nomads by nature, and they do whatever they feel like doing at any moment and don't get too bogged down with promises.

Still, doesn't it make sense that we would be concerned if a family with two kids didn't show up as expected...especially after traveling such a long distance? A simple phone call would have been really nice.

So, here's the notion that I need to get used to:
  • I will always be surprised by their actions.
  • I will rarely agree with their decision making.
  • I need to stop having expectations of them - despite their promises.
  • I will always love those kids and be worried about them. Always.