Thursday, March 23, 2006

Older Girl likes to hold my hand when we're out shopping. She insists on remaining close to me, and she frequently yells, "Hug!" or "Kiss!". Sometimes, she just likes to hang out in my arms.

It's not lost upon me that very few 15 1/2 year olds are like this.

I remember back when she was very young and we'd talk on the phone. "I miss your kisses!" she would squeal. It made my heart glow to hear those words and I have always, always loved this child.

Sweet Girl has also been an absolute joy to have in our home. Husband were at the hobby store today and I just lost it as we stood in line.

Jill: I'm dying.

Husband: I know.

Jill: If I ever consider being a foster parent again, just tell me to be quiet. There is absolutely no way that I can do it. First, you fall in love with this very special, unique being. Then you have to give them to their parents, who are going to take them back home and subject them to Gawd Knows What. How in the world are you supposed to do this when you know, you just know that this kid is better off with you? I hate this.

Husband: I do too. They're never going to get off the booze and drugs.

Jill: I know. And this is killing me.

With that, we got into the car and drove back home. Each of us with a heavily burdened heart.