Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Still Agonizing

I suppose I should have seen it coming, but because he was on commission only...I truly thought we'd dodge the mass layoff. The problem is that they shut down the entire business segment across the nation. Huge.Closure.

The CP truck is here and the boys are loading all of our no-longer-wanted worldly goods into their van. I hope these things find happy homes. There goes the box with the wooden ash tray in the shape of a foot. The big toe is pointing skyward. And there goes the vintage trunk with the stamps and stickers from Italy. It's hard to imagine my aunt traipsing across Europe with that thing but there's proof in the immigration stamps. I'm bidding a sad farewell to my dad's duvet and matching bed skirt. Same goes for all of those size 6 and 8 corporate outfits. And our very first coffee table. And the vintage bedroom chair with the rush seat.

I've always wanted to plant a tracking device on donated items to see where they actually land. It's intriguing to think about the two homes that these items have already dwelled - and who knows where they will go next? I assume to someone in need but that isn't always the case, is it?

It's difficult to calm my racing heart. While I can handle Change it's Uncertainty that leaves me breathless.

I suppose what I am hoping for is nothing short of a miracle. At least that's the impression I get after reading the news every morning.