Sunday, September 05, 2004

Miss M

My sister just called to tell me that they had to put my mom's cat to sleep today. Miss M had congestive heart failure and was struggling to breathe.

My husband and I found her at a B & B in Pointe Reyes, which is North of San Francisco. We went there to celebrate my birthday 8 years ago. Miss M took a liking to us and came into our room to sleep at the foot of the bed. The B & B owner said she was stray...and didn't want her. So we took her home the next day.

Pit fell in love with her immediately. She would have nothing to do with him. She lived with us for 2 years, until my parents came to visit and mom fell in love with her too. At the time, mom had a cancerous blotch on her face and was scared witless. So we gave Miss M to her to have as a companion though the treatment. Miss M stayed with my parents from then on. She was a great cat.

Mom is in the family room sobbing and wailing. My husband is sitting with her, trying to comfort her. I am in the office, wondering how I keep this family from falling over the cliff.