Monday, February 27, 2006

P-O-W-E-R-L-E-S-S

My niece has decided that she is "in love" and can't leave her (deadbeat) boyfriend. Yes, this is the guy who gives her pot. She's 18 years old.

As I sat and listened to her emote fairy tales and happy-ever-after singsongs, I had to bite my lips to keep from saying anything to the contrary. I don't think this is the right decision. She's too young and has too much at risk.

I don't care that she is 18 and a young adult. If she was my kid, there would be a different outcome. But for now, all I can do is sit back and watch her self destruct.

She's utterly non-compliant when she's with her boyfriend. She doesn't take her meds and he's encouraged her to drop out of her support group at UC Davis. All of this plus the drugs and alcohol add up to a dismal future for my little flower girl with schitzophrenia.

This is killing me.